The beginning of my assignment

I found my inspiration for my art assignment. My grandfather who has been very sick sadly passed away during the time in which I needed inspiration and so I dedicate this assignment to him. I am going to do a physical place the Shortis and Timmins Pharmacy from Condobolin. My grandfather owned this pharmacy for quite some time and I have fond memories of helping out on my visits.

I started by going to the shop and sketching the insides roughly. When sketching I realised I did not leave enough room as the shop is very elongated. I made mental notes of the approximate measurements as it would be far too time consuming to make accurate measurements. This way I could later make a fairly accurate sketch of the shop and use it as a second draft or even, part of the finished product.

photo 1photo 2

Tiarra Art Prod Shop

In order to make it easier for myself I make the lines darkened with a lead pencil and scanned the image onto the computer. I then printed a copy and went to work figuring out my map. I always was hoping to do a variety of maps not only a singular map as I felt it would not challenge me enough. I started by making the map very graph like drawing lines vertically and horizontally lining up with some of the shelves and racks around the main areas. When I was satisfied the end result had an illusion and it challenged the eyes.

Tiarra Art Prod print V

I then printed another copy and started doing an aboriginal design. I found that Condobolin has a higher population of aboriginals than most in NSW (from what I know of, it is not scientifically proven). This inspired me to do an aboriginal version of the Pharmacy, the fact I am aboriginal helped me. I looked at the artworks specifically by the dharug tribe, these are the colouring pages of aboriginal animals that Children would colour when they were younger. My interpretation has similarities however as the shop is not in the shape of animal they look significantly different.

Tiarra Art Prod print v 2

Lastly I decided to draw a typographic map, which posed an extremely difficult task. I printed a copy of the original and started to write the different objects in the shelving space, and rooms where appropriate. Squeezing writing into the smaller spaces seemed just as hard as elongating the words for the bigger spaces. Afterwards I used tracing paper to attach and trace the words. This removed the barriers of the background leaving just the words to create a proper typographic map. Finally I scanned this into the computer.

photo 3 (4)Tiarra Art Prod print v 3

I decided for my fourth map I would use the original to show the comparison between the various images and how they came to the finished result. I scanned all into the computer and used work to change them to greyscale 50% and accent colour 3 light, with a texturiser. This took away the effect of them being a drawing and made them look as if they were a print.

Tiarra Art Prod print v 4

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s